Second Grade Information
Our reading program emphasizes the development of phonics, fluency, and comprehension strategies.
In grammar, second graders learn to identify nouns, verbs, and adjectives and study sentence structure.
The writing program includes narrative and friendly letter writing with a focus on main idea and supporting details
Skills taught in second grade include:
- Regrouping with addition and subtraction up to 3-digit numbers
- Mastery of addition and subtraction facts from 1 to 20
- Introduction to fractions, geometry, multiplication, division
- Algebra and function skills and statistics and data analysis are continuing to be developed
In geography, students learn about:
- The continents
- Map skills
- Community helpers and people who make a difference
- How life compares today to life long ago
Units of study include:
- Health science
- Earth science
- Physical science
- Life science
Daily exercises, jogging, and game skills. Please send your child dressed appropriately for physical education.
- Jurupa Mountains Discovery Center
- Language Arts Theater experience
- Inside the Outside-Birds of Prey
- Ecosystem Extravaganza
Students will again have the wonderful experience of working with Mrs. White in the music program in which students will perform for parents twice during the year.
Art is integrated into other subject areas. The PTA is pursuing the possibility of having an art teacher join us to work with the students one to two times per month.
Special projects are aligned with units of study.
A weekly homework packet includes daily home reading, spelling, and math. Homework is due at the end of each week.