Fourth Grade Information
The fourth grade uses various methods of reading strategies:
- Reader’s Workshop (students reading novels of their choice)
- Literature Circles (students reading the same leveled novels in small groups)
- Guided reading using the Houghton Mifflin Reading series.
- In grammar the students learn sentence structure and basic parts of speech.
In the area of writing the students learn different styles of writing:
Math and Algebra
The fourth grade uses a variety of methods to teach math. The textbook, Mini-Math and Mountain Math are daily math tools that are integrated into the mathematics program.
The fourth grade focuses on the study of California. This includes geography, history, government and modern day of California.
Rocks and minerals, populations, ecosystems, magnetism and electricity, and drug awareness are all taught in the fourth grade.
Music and Art
Students participate in a music program with Mrs. White which culminates in two student performances during the year.
Art is integrated throughout the other subject areas. The PTA is pursuing the possibility of having an art teacher join us to work with our students one to two times per month.
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Gardens: "Web of Life"
- Gold Rush Day -
- Walk Through California History to be held on May 17-18
- Mission San Gabriel-
Hand eye, foot eye, basic tumbling, jump ropes are all some activities taught on a daily bases. Also stressed are the concepts of team play and sportsmanship. Stretching and calisthenics are taught weekly.